Life

Life
Life

Style

Style
Style

Kindle

Kindle
Kindle

#BLOGMAS 6 |Unconventional Christmas Playlist

Whilst I love a great rendition of "oh holy night" or " Santa Claus is coming to town", I've also been tuning my ear this festive season to the more unconventional songs I.e those that have no/little relevance to snow, mistletoe or even the manger.


PARTY WONDERS


LEONA LEWIS
ALBUM : GLASSHEART
 !Don't ask me how but every time I hear Leona scream out a note particularly from this album, I feel all Christmassy. "Shake you up" IS my get-ready, get-dancing anthem- I can imagine it getting air time at an office party, with young and not so young alike. Its so old school disco, I love how it makes me bop my head from side to side #icantdance. The same can be said for " Glassheart". "Fingerprint" on the other hand is really beautiful and chilling- slow dancing cue. There's always a moment to get emotional, whether it be on the eve of a New Year or whipping out the camera to record this years memories- the ballards on this album really make you -or maybe just me lol - fuzzy and warm.

ARIANA GRANDE
LOVE ME HARDER (ALEX GHENEA REMIX)
Oooh hoo hoo hoo Love me love me love me...oooh hoo hoo hoo harder harder harder
Okay so most songs these days have sexual undertones, and this one is no different. Lyrics aside and throwing Alex in the mix, this remix has seriously climbed to the top of my repeat. The instance I saw it on Soundcloud, I knew I`d love it. Sucker for a good beat, if I was having a Christmas get together, this would be playing for sure. Its a feel good, and Ariana has no problem delivering those belters- how can you go wrong with that?

SEASONAL SOMBRES



SHAWN MACDONALD
ALBUM: BRAVE
Theres a strong theme of fight, hope and love running through the songs on this album. Christmas time is sadly a time of year which can be both depressing and joyous for us all alike. Life does get hard, people still have to deal with heartbreak, death and sickness. An incident involving an attempted suicide at my work the other day reminded me that everyone needs a dose of hope, fight and especially love to get through and make it to the New Year. Shawn sings about love being a compass and finding strength and hope, particularly in God. This album really encourages me to take heart, smile and give thanks that every year I am able to see a New Year in, with hope of a happier and greater tomorrow. "Compass","I cant imagine" and " Hope right here" really uplift me. Check them out.

NATALIE LAUREN
ALBUM: CLIFF NOTES
 * New artist alert*
Thanks Lecrae for introducing this girl to me. Unknown by many and definitely underrated. Natalie has a deep talking voice, but I love that shes down to earth urban, can sing high and can rap honest lyrics. She takes well known songs from the urban and rap world, such as Minaj`s " Pills N Potions"  and Rihannas " Bad" but changes the lyrics to represent her life,style and values. I admire her version of Bad, although I'm still put off by whats supposed to be squeaking bed springs-need I say more- that featured in the original. Again, her songs are no where near a carol but at such a hectic time of year, I like listening to lyrics and songs with depth- its refreshing once in a while to hear an artist that is just being real. 


ACCAPELLA



My New best thing. I reaLily wish I could be in an accapella group. 
Christmas sounds really traditional when you get to listen to raw voices or raw instruments. When harmonies in an accapella are on point..wow! OK, So maybe accapella isn't that unconventional at Christmas but I thought I`d add it here anyways :-)
STRAIGHT NO CHASER
I discovered this group last year. I think id do well if I was alive in the 40/50s ... There are times when I love a good "schwop", finger snap and a hum. "Text me Merry Christmas" and "Christmas Can can"( Shopping shopping shopping...) are hilarious, the lyrics are so fun, jovial and cheeky. 

Opps, So now Ive crossed over the threshold into conventional Christmas related music, I might as well stop right here and finish now before I go off on one....

Hope you enjoy picking out your Christmas must-have songs for this season. Remember to enjoy it! 

Xx

No comments

Instagram