Life

Life
Life

Style

Style
Style

Kindle

Kindle
Kindle

COSTA-INSPIRED SPICED APPLE WARMER

Happy Weekend

If you follow me/my blog, you will know that I set myself a huge challenge at the beginning of the year to go CAFFEINE-FREE. That was in January. We are now in October and I am delighted to announce that to this day, I have not succumbed to the caffeine hit! (Unless you can count a slice of coffee cake?!?)

I plan to keep this up for more or less, the rest of my life, I'm that convinced, its crazy. Now, as I've pointed out it is October, and the colder season is beckoning. This is perhaps the most trialing time for my caffeine ban, as you know, there are a whole range of delicious hot drinks available, most orientating around caffeine.

There is one though that I thankfully discovered in those blustery winter months that I fell in love with. Costas' Hot Spiced Apple Drink. Amazing. Saved my freezing butt. And what's better than a cup of toasty autumnal yumminess?

Now, spiced apple is ridiculously easy and fairly inexpensive to make. You only need three essential ingredients to whip up your own in the comfort of your home. Cinnamon (sticks), Apple/juice and Star Anise. (If you're extra fancy, or you want a deeper flavour, add some citrus like clementine/satsuma and perhaps some cloves. Also beware: don't overdose on star anise otherwise you could end up with a very medicinal tasting drink...)

Spiced apple is essentially a waiting/patience game of chopping up your fruit, combining with your spices and water and allowing to simmer gently for five to ten minutes until all those flavours have lovingly infused together. 

*TIP*: Try leaving the apple concoction in the fridge overnight and drink the next day, warmed through, if you can wait that long. The flavours really come alive the longer they settle!

SPICED APPLE WARMER


SERVES 8 (Halve the ingredients to serve 4!)

4 apples
500ml apple juice
250ml water
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise
1 clementine/satsuma/citrus fruit
2 cloves




PEEL & CORE APPLES


 POUR 250ML WATER INTO A MILK PAN/SAUCEPAN & ADD APPLES


COVER WITH 500ML APPLE JUICE

ADD CINNAMON, STAR ANISE, CLOVES & CITRUS FRUITSIMMER FOR 5-10 MINUTES ON A LOW/MEDIUM HEAT


AFTER ALLOWING TO COOL OFF HEAT, POUR INTO GLASS, GARNISH & SERVE




Why not switch up your usual pumpkin spice latte for this fruity little number? And if you try it, tell me what you think!


WATCH THIS RECIPE ON MY CHANNEL

No comments

Instagram