Life

Life
Life

Style

Style
Style

Kindle

Kindle
Kindle

The battle of American Burger Joints in the UK: Is smashburger better than Five Guys?

smashburger made its debut in the UK last month and if you know me, you'll know that an opportunity to hit up a new food joint is my kind of pleasure. Now, as a lover of a great big greasy burger (I have no shame in admitting that) I took myself off to the store to gape at the extensive menu and find out if I'll eat the burger of my dreams!


 So, what's the smash?

"smashing", if you didn't know, is the key to this American-born burger. Fresh Angus beef is "smashed" on a hot grill to shape a patty and seal in the heat and the meat juices. Kosher salt, pepper and garlic are added after to create the unique smashburger flavour.

What did I order?

I ordered the buffalo and blue cheese burger, "smashfries" and an Oreo milkshake.


The Review:

THE FRIES



If fries had a new trend, rosemary and olive oil would be the must-have right now. It seems like every restaurant I go to these days has a "posh"chips option. A memorable variation of these rosemary fries were from The Anthologist Bar, in London. (If you like the sound of the "smashfries", you'll love the Anthologists' truffle, Parmesan and rosemary combo. Yum) But away from that side note, it's definitely worth a try if you're over the sweet potato fries hype.
One disappointment  I should mention though is that smashburger's single serving was pretty...well stingy. Much like most fast food restaurants such as McD and Burger King,  you're not necessarily getting what you pay for. Quality yes, but quantity, nope. My carton wasn't even half full. Shame really.


THE BURGER






If we're judging purely by appearance, the artisan bun would score more highly than any other - it is a work of art! Now onto the actual meat - In all honesty, I'm actually not a fan of blue cheese - I find it way too pungent - so who knows why I was drawn to ordering it.

But with that being said, the deep flavour of the smashed beef took away the aftertaste of the blue cheese - in the end I couldn't complain, I ate it all and it was really good.

Again, a small criticism - I missed the feeling of fullness. You know, when you set yourself up to go all out on a burger, anticipating the juiciest, saltiest meat... I didn't get that at all. Maybe that's a good thing, because the burger wasn't dripping in fat and loaded with grizzly bits. It was surprisingly lighter than I thought - I had room for another even after downing the milkshake. So yeah. If you go in expecting Five Guys, you'll probably be miserable. If you like, you could call this burger "healthy"(in comparison) haha!

I can't say that buffalo and blue cheese smashburger is the best or most memorable burger I've ever tried. It just misses that all important element of being fast and significantly unhealthy. If I'm going to have a cheat day, I'd rather hit up Five Guys and have plenty left over for the next day too! I'd love to try the smash salads next time though - they sound amazing :D

If you want a taste for the smash, here's the UK menu for you to ponder over!

smashburger is opening in Brighton in the near future so keep an eye out for that one store.

Happy Eating!

FYI: This post is not sponsored

No comments

Instagram