Life

Life
Life

Style

Style
Style

Kindle

Kindle
Kindle

HOW TO: Super Tasty VEGAN "Bacon"








How to get the Salt, Smoke and Crunch - without the Meat!


Who'd have thought Vegans could enjoy the crunch, smoke and salt only found in bacon? Since switching to a meat-free diet, I've been longing to try a bunch of fake meats in hope of finding one that may cure my occasional longings for the real stuff...that inner carnivore in me still screams.

I used to enjoy tucking into a crispy slice of bacon back in the day, especially on a sleepy Saturday morning, alongside a generous serving of egg, beans, hash brown and mushrooms. Weekend Fry ups soothed even the hungriest of us. Nowadays, fry ups are a rarity but even I know the odd savoury treat now and again is never a bad thing - especially with an overactive sweet tooth like mine!

Since becoming Vegan, I've brought a ton of recipe books in hope that a least one blogger/chef/baker views fake meat as an acceptable allowance. Sam Murphy of So Beautifully Real has single handedly changed my life - her book is a dream of stunning photography and a variety of mouth-watering recipes - I'm slowly working my way through the chapters! I was super excited to see an entire chapter dedicated to "fake meat" recipes as I feel that many vegan writers look down on the eating of such things. Although I avoid meat substitutions such as gluten-rich seitan and tempeh, I know I can still enjoy the meatiness of tofu, jackfruit and surprisngl...coconut! 

Kudos to Sam for creating such a simple yet tasty treat with her Coconut "bacon". It's actually startling how similar it tastes to the real pork deal. Honestly, you need to try it to judge it!
It's so simple, but the coconut can be quite costly. You'll need coconut meat or flesh. I purchased a package of coconut meat from Ocado, which was a whopping £6.99 for 500g. But it was organic and fresh as can be, so no real complaints. The taste and feel of bacon is basically created with a selection of ingredients: maple syrup, liquid smokoe, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, sesame oil and tamrai. Marinate your coconut meat for as long as you can hold out for (lol) then stick in the oven for half an hour and BAM! Meat-free bacon is served!




Serve with whatever carb you fancy! 
The photos are pretty self-explanatory, I think...














Give it a shot!

I've found my new favorite sandwich/slider filling


Until Next Time!


No comments

Instagram